Focusrite OctoPre MkII Dynamic
- Number of channels: 8
- Available dynamic modules: VCA Red Characteristics
- Available filter modules: -
- Phantom Power: 48 V per individual channel
- Converter/Bitrate: Digital resolution up to 24bit/96kHz
- Features: VCA based compressor with RED3 characteristics
- Displays: LED´s
- Inputs and Outputs: 8 x XLR mic in, 8 x line in, balanced ¼“. Combo socket 8 x line out ¼“ balanced.
- External Dimensions ( Width x Depth x Height ): 19" / 1U
- Optional accesories: -
- Eight Focusrite microphone preamps
- Eight Focusrite compressor with one knob ooperation
- Eight channel 24-bit 96kHz digital output
- Two instrument inputs
- 8-channel Microphone Preamplifier with ADAT I/O and 8 Channels of Built-in Compression, 24-bit/96kHz Resolution
Focusrite OctoPre MkII Dynamic · Mic. Preamp
The OctoPre MkII Dynamic's digital inputs and outputs let you make the most of often-neglected ADAT I/O to expand the number of mic-pre inputs on your audio interface or for providing analogue monitoring from any digital ADAT feed.
With this entire package fitting into a single 1U chassis complementing Focusrite's Saffire PRO range, and all controls adjustable from the front fascia, OctoPre MkII Dynamic sets the standard for modern, compact, multi-channel recording expansions.
The Compressors featured in OctoPre MkII Dynamic are a new VCA-based, feed-forward design, derived from the celebrated Focusrite Red 3.
With just a single dial, these eight 'recording' compressors allow you to get to the desired amount of compression for each channel, fast, providing a natural but loud sound. The single dial solution decreases the threshold, and increases the makeup gain simultaneously, the result of which is a sound that gets progressively more compressed but retains a good output level.
The compressors uses a soft-knee progressive compression curve, modeled on the properties of the Red 3 compressor, and featuring a fixed Attack time of 1.2 ms and Release time of 28ms. The circuit has been tuned by ear at Focusrite and these settings were chosen after critical listening and analysis of the Red 3. Bass guitar and drums were put through the Red 3 compressor, and the threshold, ratio, attack and release envelopes were modified until the desired 'controlled' sound was achieved. These settings were then applied to the new VCA circuit where the soft knee and ratio curve had been duplicated. A further listening then helped to tweak the settings and ensure that the compressors behaved as expected.
The compressor has two modes: Normal and 'More', which let you change the behavior of the compressor to suit different instruments. Whist the Red 3 is well known and loved for its sympathetic approach to compression, it's not regarded as an 'effect' compressor. However, with the OctoPre MkII Dynamic's 'More' button, found on each compressor, you can bring a bit of aggression to your sound. The More button doubles the ratio from 2:1 to 4:1 and shifts the threshold range, so you have more sensitivity on control. The threshold is closed down, working across a smaller range, as you're applying threshold control over a much louder signal.
- 8-channel microphone preamplifier and AD/DA converter
- ADAT output to add eight channels to your audio interface
- Eight single-dial soft-knee Focusrite compressors
- 8-channel 24-bit/96kHz ADAT I/O
- Eight analog outputs for monitoring the digital or analog inputs
- Switchable phantom power in groups: channels 1-4 and 5-8
- Word clock I/O with JetPLL jitter-elimination technology
- Internal clocking, master clocking, and external clocking via BNC or ADAT
- 5-input LED metering on every channel
- 24-bit resolution and 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96kHz sampling rates
- Compressor Threshold: -4dBFS to -44dBFS
- Compressor Ratio: 2:1 and 4:1
- Analog Inputs: 8 x Combo XLR/TRS
- Analog Outputs: 8 x 1/4-inch
- Digital Inputs: 2 x ADAT Optical
- Digital Outputs: 2 x ADAT Optical
- Other I/O: 1 x Word Clock In BNC, 1 x Word Clock Out BNC
Mic. Preamp · Focusrite OctoPre MkII Dynamic
This item was given an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars. No review about this product has been written yet. 11 ratings exist without a text or these reviews are written in another language.